The township of Seville sits on the Lilydale - Warburton Rail Trail, a vibrant community resource used by walkers, runners, cyclists and horse riders. It is a well known agricultural area of the Yarra Valley and home to some of the regions highest awarded wines and the annual 'Shedfest' weekend that celebrates the smaller vineyards of the area. You could find yourself sipping on a Yarra Valley Champion Wine of Show at Seville Estate or chatting with the growers and winemakers at Seville Hill whilst enjoying the music knowing it's only a wander down the paddock to where you're staying for the night.
Cool down in summer here at the ever popular Seville Water Play Park. What a fabulous use of an defunct public swimming pool! A lovely way to spend a hot summer afternoon having fun among the water sprays. The old Seville Pool was covered in to make a play area with water jets which periodically spout up in patterns at regular intervals. Spread out on a rug and enjoy the time out. Do remember to pack the hat and sunscreen though!
Seville was first settled in 1886 by the Payne, Olerenshaw and Downham families, and was originally named Redlands before being rechristened in honour of the daughter of State Treasury officer and settler, William Henry Smith.
Most pioneers were of English stock and many were granted licences to take up land in the area. Successive generations of clearing and cultivation have seen Seville become the heart of a prime agricultural district, surrounded by magnificent vistas of farmland, vineyards and natural bush.
The railway line from Lilydale to Warburton was opened in 1901 and trains finally ceased to travel the line in 1964. The track’s easement – which wanders through beautiful bush and farming land – was sadly neglected for some years, but has now been converted to a splendid facility for walking, cycling and horse riding. This trail is maintained by a group of local volunteers and is well used both by community members and visitors. A walk or ride along the trail is a good way to introduce yourself to the beauty of Seville.
From a small close-knit community of farmers and orchardists who worked land wrested from the surrounding bush, Seville today has expanded to a flourishing township. The bush track which served the needs of a much slower lifestyle has become the busy Warburton Highway and the little farmhouses have been replaced with suburban homes, sprawling homesteads built by hobby farmers seeking refuge from the frenetic pace of city life, and the architect-designed pavilions of prosperous vineyards. However the township of Seville still retains a strong rural flavour and one may still see tractors driving down the main street and horses and riders crossing the Highway at the pedestrian lights.
Created in 1885, Seville was initially called "a township in the parish of Wandin Yalloak". A year later it was named Redlands, but as there was already a town with this name, it was renamed Seville in May 1886 after the daughter of resident William Henry Smith.