The township of Selby was developed in conjunction with Menzies Creek after the narrow-gauge railway was built from Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook in 1904. The township was named after a local landowner and Councillor, George Selby and is the second station on the railway line. The narrow-gauge railway closed in 1954 due to a landslide beyond Selby and was opened in 1962 as the current Puffing Billy Railway. The Puffing Billy train rarely stops at Selby station, but can do so if required.
Similar to other small townships in the region, Selby attracted many holiday makers in the 1920’s and its population once rivaled Belgrave’s. The land around Selby is particularly hilly, dominated by Black Hill. The reserve at Black Hill is home to a wide range of wildlife including black wallabies, echidnas, koalas, wombats and a variety of birds.
Selby is a particularly beautiful area with tall mountain ash, lush tree ferns and native vegetation. It's well worth a visit.